Thursday, July 12, 2012

Today's Reading: I Samuel 19:11-24 & Psalm 59

     Michal, Saul's daughter, was married to David the time of I Samuel 19.  She was his first wife.  Saul had tricked David into marrying her instead of his first daughter, Merab, whom Saul had promised to David.  While David was away completing the task Saul had given him in order to marry Merab, he gave Merab to a man named Adriel.  So Michal was next in line.  Luck for her, she fell in love with David.  Marrying the man you fall in love with is a rarity in a time of arranged marriages.  That love would come in handy later for David. 
     We push forward some time after the marriage.  Saul sent troops to his son-in-law's house in order for them to kill David.  Michal knew her father's plans and told David in verse 11: "If you don't escape tonight, you'll be dead by morning."  So she helped him out a window and he fled to Ramah where Samuel was.  She covered his tracks by placing an idol in the bed and putting a cushion of goat's hair at the top--making a David dummy.  So she told the troops who had come that he was sick in bed. When the troops took that message back to Saul, he told them to bring David in his bed to him so he could kill him.  That is some deep-rooted hatred, wanting to kill a supposed sick man while he lay in his bed.  Gives you a pretty good perspective of Saul here and explains why Michal did what she did.  It also explains why she responds the way she does when the dummy is discovered.  Verse 17 gives her response: "Why have you betrayed me like this and let my enemy escape?" Saul demanded of Michal.  "I had to," Michal replied.  "He threatened to kill me if I didn't help him." 
     Gotta stop here for a second.  Makes you wonder.  If Michal had not responded like that would Saul have treated his own daughter like a traitor and killed her too?  That is a hard spot to be in, between two men whom you love-one who is clearly insane and the one who is trying to do God's will.  I have to wonder though if her response didn't fuel Saul's rage further?
     Back to the point.  David's life was saved by Michal and he went to stay with Samuel in Naioth.  When Saul's troops followed, they were struck by the Spirit of God and began prophesying.  This happened three times.  The third time it happened to Saul himself.
     Psalm 59:
     In this psalm, David is again pleading for God's protection.  He knows the soldiers have been ordered by Saul to kill him.  David's mind turns from his enemies to God's strength: "I wait for you to rescue me, for you, O God, are my fortress.  In his unfailing love, my God will stand with me.  He will let me look down in triumph on all my enemies. 
     David continues: Don't kill them God, use them as a lesson.  Let their own pride, curses and lies destory them.  Then the whole world will know that God reigns in Israel.  David is praying for his people to learn a lesson here.  For them to see what happens to those who do wrong and turn from their ways.  Yes, David is human and he wants it to be over quickly as we all do in times of trouble but he has hope because he is blessed with each new day.  He celebrates that fact at the end of this psalm in verses 16-17:  But as for me, I will sing about your power.  Each morning I will sing with joy about your unfailing love.  For you have been my refuge, a place of safety whe I am in distress.  O my Strength, to you I sing praises, for you, O God, are my refuge, the God who shows me unfailing love.
    
     May we remember in hard times those who are continually working to keep us safe, like Michal did for David, and for each blessed morning that comes when we are safe in God's embrace.

Prayer Request:
Pray for those today who are in unsafe situations because they are spreading God's message or simply for choosing to believe in Christ where it is not acceptable.  Pray for those who are going against the norm and suffering for it.
Want to know more? Check out this websitewww.opendoorusa.org    

No comments:

Post a Comment