Monday, July 9, 2012

God Has This Well In Hand

Today's Reading: Psalm 56 which is a psalm of David regarding the time the Phillistines seized him in Gath-referring to I Samuel 27-30.

     David's experience with the Phillistines was both good and bad.  He found favor with the Phillistine king, Achish and became his bodyguard for life.  But when they, David and his 600 men along with the Phillistine army, went into battle against Israel, the Phillistine commanders didn't want David and his men to go with them.  They were worried David would double cross them.  So they asked King Achish to send him and his men home to Ziklag, the country town the king had given David and his men.  The king granted the commanders' request and sent David and his men home. 
     While they were gone, the Amalekites, an enemy of the Phillistines, raided Ziklag and took everything and burned the town to the ground.  When David and his men arrived home, finding the town in this state and their families missing, David's men became angry with him.  So much that they wanted to stone him. 
     David prayed to God for guidance.  God told him that if they went after the raiders, they would get everything back.  God gave him victory and returned everything the Amalekites had taken, even the flocks and herds. 
     The psalm today, chapter 56, is a statement of David's faith.  He begins by asking for God's mercy because David's enemies are hounding him.  But David says in verse 4: I praise God for what he has promised.  I trust in God so why should I be afraid?  What can mere mortals do to me?  He continues by asking for God's vengence to fall on his enemies.  Verses 8-13 are David finally seeing the picture that God wants him to see--that God has this well in hand--and David praises Him for that wonderful reason.
Verses 8-13:  You keep track of all my sorrows.  You have collected all my tears in your bottle.  You have recorded each one in your book.  My enemies will retreat when I call to you for help.  This I know: God is on my side!  I praise God for what he has promised; Yes I praise the Lord for what he has promised.  I trust in God, so why should I be afraid?  What can mere mortals do to me?  I will fulfill my vows to you, O God, and will offer a sacrifice of thanks for your help.  For you have rescued me from death; you have kept my feet from slipping.  So now I can walk in your presence, O God, in your life-giving light.
     Know today that no matter your situation, God has it well in hand and will see you through just as He did David.  Praise Him for getting you through thus far and for what He will do even if you can't see the path yet.  Praise Him through the darkness so you can walk in God's presence, in His life-giving light.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment