Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Self-Serving...

Today's Reading: Psalm 58

     When I read the first two verses of this chapter, Justice--do you rulers know the meaning of the word?  Do you judge the people fairly?  No! You plot injustice in your hearts.  You spread violence throughout the land (v.1-2).  I was immediately reminded of the situation of our government.  It seems that these words still ring true of our leaders today, of our government that seems so self-serving.
     David, in verses 6-9, is pleading with God to heal the land of all the injustice and to punish the wicked-the ones causing such destruction.  Verse 9 says: God will sweep them (the wicked people) away, both young and old, faster than a pot heats over burning thorns.  Verses 10-11 speak of the godly praising God for avenging the injustice. Verse 11: Then at last everyone will say, "There truly is a reward for those who live for God; surely there is a God who judges justly here on earth."
     I don't normally think lot about our government.  There is just so much I don't understand.  But the situations I have seen and heard about lately-healthcare, Obama, and so much more, lay heavy on my heart and my mind.  Our country, though strong from the outside, is rotting fromt the inside out, like an apple with a worm in it.  The only remedy is prayer.  Pray that God today will pluck the worms out of government and lead our nation through this time of injustice and make our nation healthy again--a nation focused on Him, not one of self-service.

Devotional Reading for Today:
Now the word of the Lord came to me saying, " Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations."
--Jeremiah 1:4-5
Lord, I pray for answers to the dilemmas which plague our society. Not knowing whom You have called for special service, let me respect and revere each life with hope, anticipation and gratitude.




No comments:

Post a Comment