Sunday, July 8, 2012

Oh, That I Had Wings...

Reading From Psalm 55

      David's prayer begins like ours does a lot of the time when we are facing trials.  Listen to my prayer, O God.  Do not ignore my cry for help!  Please listen and answer me, for I am overwhelmed by my troubles (v.1-2).  He continues by describing how he is tormented by his enemies and their threats.  My heart pounds in my chest.  The terror of death assaults me.  Fear and trembling overwhelm me, and I can't stop shaking (v.4-5).  He even goes so far as to wish something off the wall.  Oh, that I had wings like a dove; then I would fly away and rest!  I would fly far away to the quiet of the wilderness.  How quickly I would escape--far from this wild storm of hatred (v. 6-8).  Sound familiar? 
     He continues in the following verses to describe what is happening in the city.  Confuse them, Lord, and frustrate their plans. for I see violence and conflict in the city.  Its walls are patrolled day and night against invaders, but the real danger is wickedness within the city.  Everything is falling apart; threats and cheating are rampant in the streets.  Sometimes the ordeals in our lives make the simplest thing like going to work feel like this. 
     In verses 12-14, David finally puts a face to his tormentor.  It is his best friend that he went to church with.  David describes the actions of his friend in verses 20-21: As for my companion, he betrayed his friends; he broke his promises.  His words are as smooth as butter, but in his heart is war.  His words are as smoothing as lotion, but underneath are daggers!  Some pretty strong words!  How many times have you been betrayed by someone whom you considered a friend?  There is an end result for both David and his friend.  His tormentors can look forward to evil, death and the grave if they don't turn from their ways and go to God as seen in verse 15.   As for David, he cries out to the Lord in his distress morning, noon and night and the Lord hears his voice.  The Lord ransoms David and keeps him safe from the battle waged against him, though many still oppose him. (v. 17-18). 
     David ends this psalm as always, with hope.  Give your burdens to the Lord and he will take care of you.  He will not permit the godly to slip and fall (v.22). 

     For those of you who are struggling, have been betrayed by friends or simply need someone to talk to, remember God is there for all of the above and more. 

Power Verses:

Zephaniah 3:17
For the Lord your God is living among you.  He is a mighty Savior.  He will take delight in you with gladness.  With his love, he will calm all your fears.  He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.

Deuteronomy 31:6
So be strong and courageous!  Do not be afraid and do not panic before them.  For the Lord your God will personally go ahead of you.  He will neither fail you nor abandon you.

Prayer:
Help me, O God, to be a good and true friend,
   To be always loyal, and never to let my friends down;
   Never to talk about them behind their backs in a way in
        which I ought to be silent;
   Always to be ready to share everything I have;
   To be as true to my friends as I would wish them to be to me.
   This I ask for the sake of him who is the greatest and truest of all friends.
   For Jesus' sake, Amen.
   William Barclay

To pray together, in whatever tongue or ritual, is the most tender brotherhood of hope and sympathy that man can contract in this life.
Anne Louise Germaine De Stael

No comments:

Post a Comment