Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Standing Strong In The Face Of Adversity

Psalm 52: A psalm of David, regarding the time Doeg the Edomite said to Saul, "David has gone to see Ahimelech."

Why do you boast about your crimes, great warrior?  Don't you realize God's justice continues forever?  All day long you plot destruction.  Your tongue cuts like a sharp razor; you're an expert at telling lies.  You love evil more than good and lies more than truth.
You love to destroy others with your words, you liar!  But God will strike you down once and for all.  He will pull you from your home and uproot you from the land of the living. 
The righteous will see it and be amazed.  They will laugh and say, "Look what happens to mighty warriors who do not trust in God.  They trust their wealth instead and grow more and more bold in their wickedness." 
But I am like an olive tree, thriving in the house of God.  I will always trust in God's unfailing love.  I will praise you forever, O God, for what you have done.  I will trust in your good name in the presence of your faithful people.

     In this psalm,  David was faced with adversity.  His name was being slandered and his reputation was being destroyed by Doeg.  But he never lost faith.  He prayed and knew that God would take care of him and bring justice to those, like Doeg, who were trying to destroy him. 
      In times when it seems the weight of the world is too heavy to carry and you feel like you are destined to fail; that all you can see is your destruction by those who are experts at telling lies, know that God is at your side and will give you the strength to endure in times of trial.  
     You may not be facing any struggles today but as brothers and sisters of Christ, we are called to pray for others.  There may be someone you know that is facing a trial that they feel is too much for them and their strength is zapped. Pray for that person and talk to them.  Open the door so the Holy Spirit can come in and guide to help your brother or sister in Christ.  It may be something small like a letter or phone call just to see how they are doing.  But that simple act of kindness may be the turning point in their struggle against the powers of darkness.   

Power Verses:
Psalm 62:6
He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress where I will not be shaken.

Isaiah 40:13
But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles.  They will run and not grow weary.  They will walk and not faint.

Psalm 62:8
O my people, trust in him at all times.  Pour out your heart to him for God is our refuge.

Psalm 94: 18-19
I cried out, "I am slipping!" but your unfailing love, O Lord, supported me.  When doubts filled my mind, your comfort gave me renewed how and cheer.

Hebrews 13:6
So we can say with confidence: "the Lord is my helper, so I will have no fear.  What can mere people do to me?"

No comments:

Post a Comment