Sunday, July 29, 2012

Come Home

Today's Reading: Psalm 73- A psalm of Asaph

     Asaph was the recorder to Hezekiah, a Levitical musician and psalmist.  He was, according to I Chronicles 6:39, a song leader in the temple; he sang and played cymbals in I Chronicles 15:17-19; and he was chief minister before the ark to invoke, give thanks and praise to the Lord.  He was a seer in 2 Chronicles 29:30.  So he was well prepared and definitely qualified to write a psalm or two.
     Asaph begins with praise in verse 1: Truly God is good to Israel, to those whose hearts are pure. Then he tells us about himself.  He has slipped.  He has sinned and he tells us that his sin was envy of the rich and proud.  He envied how they prospered despite their wickedness, how they seemed to live such painless lives and were healthy.  He envied their seeming lack of problems unlike those around them who are overcome with problems.  He heard them talking to others, who were dismayed and confused and who were eager to hear the rich people's words.  These proud rich people told those down cast listeners these words: "What does God know?" they ask.  "Does the Most High even know what's happening?"  Sounds familiar doesn't it?  We hear this a lot in our time. (Verses 2-12)
     It's nice to know that there were others even in David's time going through the same things we go through today.  Asaph continues.  He is questioning his choices.  (Verses 13-18) Did I keep my heart pure for nothing?  I get nothing but trouble all day long; every morning brings me pain.  If I had spoken this way to others, I would have been a traitor to your people.  So I tried to understand why the wicked prosper.  But what a difficult task it is!  Such a valid point especially in today's society!  Asaph went with his feelings and questions to the temple and prayed.  God showed him the destiny of the wicked.  Truly, you put them on a slippery path and send them sliding over the cliff to destruction.  Don't misunderstand this verse.  God doesn't choose to destroy his children.  He wants us all to come home to Him in heaven.  But we make the choices, it is free will after all.  Then we pay the consequences for such choices.  If you live a life ignoring all the doors God opens for you that lead to a better understanding and loving knowledge of Him and His love, then you in essence have destroyed yourself through your choices. 
      In verse 21, Asaph realizes his bitterness, his inner conflict, his foolish ignorance.  He tells God that he must have seemed like a senseless animal to Him.  That is exactly how we are when we make the wrong choices, we just have to realize it and come back to God.  Asaph realizes that God hasn't left him even in his "stupid times."  That is the same with us.  God never leaves us no matter what kind of bad choices we make.  Asaph shares that realization with us in verse 23: Yet I still belong to you; you hold my right hand.  You guide me with your counsel, leading me to a glorious destiny.  I love the words he uses in verses 26-28: My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength of my heart, he is mine forever.  Those who desert him will perish, for you destroy those who abandon you.  But as for me, how good it is to be near God!  I have made the Sovereign Lord my shelter, and I will tell everyone about the wonderful things you do.
     No matter the choices you have made in life, good or bad, you can always come home to God.  He is waiting for you.  He misses you and like the prodigal son, He will welcome you with open arms and bring you back into the fold of His love.  All you have to do is come home.

Power Verses:
2 Timothy 3:16-17
All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives.  It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right.  God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work.

Romans 13:12
The night is almost gone; the day of salvation will soon be here.  So remove your dark deeds like dirty clothes, and put on the shining armor of right living.

No comments:

Post a Comment