Monday, July 2, 2012

Lighting a Praise Fire

Today's Reading: Psalm 50

     This is a psalm of Asaph, not David.  He begins by speaking of the gathering of all nations and people to come and witness the judgement of Israel, God's people, from Mount Zion where God shines in glorious radiance.  Verses 5-6: "Bring my faithful people to me--those who made a covenant with my by giving sacrifices."  Then let the heavens proclaim his justice for God himself will be judge.  I read this and was immediately transported to Revelation where it says God will be on His throne and there will be one final judgement for all.
     Verses 7-15 are where God is speaking to His children who have been faithful.  He tells them He is not complaining about the sacrifices and burnt offerings they give but He clarifies that what they are giving God is already His.  Verse 10-11: For all the animals of the forest are mine and I own the cattle on a thousand hills.  I know every bird on the mountains, and all the animals of the field are mine. 
  He continues with verses 12-15: If I were hungry, I would not tell you, for all the world is mine and everything in it.  Do I eat the meat of bulls?  Do I drink the blood of goats?  Make thankfulness your sacrifice to God and keep the vows you made to the Most High.  How wonderful that though written thousands of years ago, these words are still relevant today.  God isn't asking you to give Him the world, it is already his.  Though we try every day to give Him what we think He wants, our time, our money, anything to make us seem worthy of heaven when all He is asking for is a thankful heart.  A heart of praise for the things God has done for you is the best place to start. 
     What have you been giving to God lately?  Remember all the world and everything in it already belongs to Him.  Give Him praise and be grateful today.  That is all He asks.  Asaph ends this chapter in verse 23 with praise: But giving thanks is a sacrifice that truly honors me.  If you keep to my path, I will reveal to you the salvation of God.
  
Challenge:  Make a list of things you are thankful for today then turn it into a prayer of thankfulness.  Share your list with someone else--may  it start a thankfulness chain, lighting a praise fire to God.

Power Verses:
Psalm 112:1
Praise the Lord!  How joyful are those who fear the Lord and delight in obeying his commands.

Psalm 115:1
Not to us, O Lord, not to us, but to your name goes all the glory for your unfailing love and faithfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment