Monday, July 16, 2012

Men & Women After God's Own Heart

Today's Reading: I Samuel 23:13-29 (Background on Psalm 63) & Psalm 63

     Saul was hunting David through the wilderness of Judah but God didn't let Saul find him.  Jonathan met David in the wilderness to encourage him to stay strong in his faith to God.  "Dont be afraid, Jonathan reassure him. "My father will never find you!  You are going to be the king of Israel, and I will be next to you, as my father, Saul, is aware."  So they renewed their pact before the Lord.  Then Jonathan returned home while David stayed at Horesh.  Some men of Ziph, hillcountry of Judah, betrayed David, in verses 19-24 of I Samuel, by telling Saul where David was.  Saul's request after thanking them for the information was that they make sure he was still there and then Saul would follow them because Saul wanted to kill David himself. 
     God saved David.  Saul got a message while he was chasing David that the Philistines were raiding Israel.  So Saul left to fight them.  And the rock where David camped has been called the Rock of Escape- Sela-hamahlekoth-ever since.  David then went to live in the strongholds of En-gedi, which is on the coast of the Sea of the Arabah (the Salt Sea).
     In this psalm, you feel the very heart of David, which is filled with the love and adoration for God.  May we all be more like David today, men and women after God's own heart.

Psalm 63
     O God, you are my God; I earnestly search for you.  My soul thirsts for you; my whole body longs for you in this parched and weary land where there is no water.  I have seen you in your sanctuary and gazed upon your power and glory.  Your unfailing love is better than life itself; how I praise you!  I will praise you as long as I live, lifting up my hands to you in prayer.  You satisfy me more than the richest feast.  I will praise you with songs of joy. 
      I lie awake thinking of you, meditating on you through the night.  Because you are my helper, I sing for joy in the shadow of your wings. I cling to you; your strong right hand holds me securely. 
     But those plotting to destroy me will come to ruin.  They will go down into the depths of the earth.  They will lie by the sword and become the food for jackals.  But the king will rejoice in God.  All who trust in him will praise him, while liars will be silenced.

May the Lord lead your hearts into full understanding and expression of the love of God and the patient endurance that comes from Christ. --II Thessalonians 3:5

No comments:

Post a Comment