Monday, July 23, 2012

God Will Be Your Victory

Today's Reading: Psalm 69

     David is in a state of despair; he's cried so much his eyes are swollen, he's exhausted and he feels like he's drowning (he is suffering from severe depression).  His enemies are telling lies to destroy him.
     David admits he has sinned.  He knows God sees all so he confesses in verse 5: O God, you know how foolish I am; my sins cannot be hidden from you.  He says in verse 6: Don't let those who trust in you be ashamed because of me, O Sovereign Lord of Heaven's Armies.  Don't let me cause them to be humiliated, O God of Israel.  In other words, don't let my mistakes become stumbling blocks for other believers.
     David switches gears in verse 9: Passion for your house consumed me, and the insults of those who insult you have fallen on me. David's passion for God has been renewed by the confession of his sins.  He is no longer wallowing in regret but is made new by the cleansing power of the confession.
     He continues to say that he is being made fun of, Verse 10-11: When I weep and fast, they scoff at me.  When I dress in burlap to show sorrow, they make fun of me. He is being talked about and even the town drunks have made up songs about him.  When you turn your life around, asking forgiveness for your past sins, like David, there are going to be people who don't understand.  It is their lack of understanding that causes them to criticize and mock.  Don't give in to such ridicule.  Tell them the reason for your new outlook on life.  Pray that they come to understand and have a change of heart, coming to Christ as well.  Jesus tells us in Matthew 5:43-45 to do this: "You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hat your enemy.'  But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be children of your Father in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the righteous and on the unrighteous."
     Continue to pray even when it seems there is no answer for as God says in Isaiah 55:8-For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways, says the Lord.  So continue through adversity and in the end God will be your Victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment