Sunday, July 15, 2012

Broken Fences

Today's Reading: Psalm 62

     The first verse tells us we should be patient and not complain when things don't happen as quickly as we wish.  I wait quietly before God, for my victory comes from him.  No matter what life throws our way, God is one we can run to when things get tough, when we need shelter, strength and so much more.  Verse 2: He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress where I will never be shaken.  Verse 3-4 describe the enemies surrounding David.  They are many against one man; trying to kill him; see David as a broken-down wall or tottering fence.  They  plan to topple  him from his high position; delight in telling lies about David; are two-faced.  Praising him to his face yet cursing him in their hearts.
     David answers back to all their tactics by putting his hope in God.  Verse 7: My victory and honor come from God alone.  He is my refuge, a rock, where no enemy can reach me.
     David pleads with his people in verse 8: O my people, trust in him at all times.  Pour out your heart to him, for God is our refuge.  David further advises his people in vers 9-10: Common people are as worthless as a puff o f wind, and the powerful are not what they appear to be.  If you weigh them on the scales, together they are lighter than a breath of air.  I believe David is saying that we are all equal in God's eyes no matter our station in life.  Don't make your living by extortion or put your hope in stealing.  And if your wealth increases, don't make it the center of your life. 
     David ends this psalm giving God all the glory.  Verse 12a: Power, O God, belongs to you; unfailing love, O Lord, is yours.
     I can't even count the number of times I have seen my papaw mend a fence in his fields that had fallen down or was on the brink of doing so because of the cows or the weather.  Everyone's heart needs mending now and then, much like my papaw's fences, in order to keep in the good things and block out the bad.  What is the condition of your heart's fences today?  Are they in need of simple repair, needing just a board replaced or are the wild things of the world running rampant and unchallenged in your heart, having trampled your fence under foot a long time ago?
     There is hope!  For it says in God's Word:
     If we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness. --I John 1:9
     Nothing in all creation is hidden from God.  Everything is naked and exposed before his eyes, and he is the one to whom we are accountable.  So then, since we have a great High Priest who has entered heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to what we believe.  This High Priest of ours understands our weaknesses, for he faced all of the same testings we do, yet he did not sin.  So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God.  There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most.
     This is my prayer for you today
     So we keep praying for you, asking our God to enable you to live a life worthy of his call.  May he give you the power to accomplish all the good things your faith prompts you to do.
 --II Thessalonians 1:11   

No comments:

Post a Comment