Thursday, June 21, 2012

Praising God Even When It Is Hard
Reference: Psalm 40

I waited patiently for the Lord to help me, and he turned to me and heard my cry.  He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out of of the mud and the mire.  He set my feet on solid ground and steadied me as I walked along.  He has given me a new song to sing, a hymn of praise to our God.  Many will see what he has done and be amazed.  They will put their trust in the Lord. --Psalm 40:1-3
     The first three verses of this chapter show that David has waited and the Lord has come to his aid.  Because of God, David has a new song in his heart and it is one of praise.  Others will see how God has saved David and will come to do like him-trust in the Lord.  It is the same for us now, thousands of years later.  We can bring people to the Lord simply by our example.
     We all know that God's timing is not our own. And waiting is hard.  Verse 5 of chapter 40 shows that while we wait, though we may not know the outcome, we can still praise God.
O Lord my God, you have performed many wonders for us.  Your plans for us are too numerous to list.  You have no equal.  If I tried to recite all your wonderful deeds, I would never come to the end of them.
     David continues on in verses 6-10 of this chapter explaining that he has overcome the fear of speaking he felt in chapter 39.  He has boldly gone out sharing what God has done in his life. But like all of us, David, who is known as the man after God's own heart, slips again in verses 11-15.  David feels the despair of being a hunted man.  He describes this in verse 12.
For trouble surrounds me--too many to count!  My sins pile up so high I can't see my way out.  They out number the hairs on my head.  I have lost all courage.
     How easily we can identify with him here. We are saved yet the despair of our situation remains and brings us down again. But like all the chapters I have read thus far which were written by David, he begins and ends with praise and prayer despite feeling down and afraid.  For even in the dark, there is light.  It's just harder to see.
     My prayer for you today is that no matter the circumstances you are in, you praise God through the pain. If you can't find the words to say, then turn to God's words and pray David's prayer from Psalm 40:16-17:
But may all who search for you be filled with joy and gladness in you.  May those who love your salvation repeatedly shout, "The Lord is great!"  As for me, since I am poor and needy, let the Lord keep me in his thoughts.  You are my helper and my savior.  O my God, do not delay.

No comments:

Post a Comment