Wednesday, June 27, 2012

One Door Opens While Others Shut

Luke 11:9-10
And so I tell you, keep on asking and you will receive what you asked for.  Keep on seeking, and you will find.  Keep on knocking and the door will be opened to you.  For everyone who asks, receives.  Everyone who seeks, finds.  And to everyone who knocks, the door will be open.

     I have had, like most people, doors shut that I thought should stay open and doors open that were a surprise from God.  I have been praying for the opportunity to share a gift that God has blessed me with and be able to bring some money into our home along the way.  But it seemed like all the doors I thought should open did not.  And I was getting nothing but heartache in return.  Like my Granny says, "All good things come to those who wait."  I suppose she got this tidbit of wisdom from the following verse:
Psalm 37:5,7
Commit everything you do to the Lord.  Trust him, and he will help you.  Be still in the presence of the Lord, and wait patiently for him to act.  Don't worry about evil people who prosper or fret about their wicked schemes.

     Waiting on God is definitely not easy especially in a society that is all about immediate gratification.  If we are diligent in our quest for godliness or even just trying to share our gifts He has blessed us with, He is faithful and will open the doors necessary for us to accomplish all that we desire to achieve and so much more. 
     As was my case just a few days ago.  I walked into a salon I had never been to in order to get a quick hair cut which seemed easy enough.  You how it is at a salon.  You sit in the chair and make small talk while the stylist does your hair.  Well during that small talk, the topic of crochet came up.  I was talking about "my plans" for this gift and God stepped in and had different plans.  Praise the Lord.  He always knows better than we do what we need when we need it.  The stylist had been looking for someone to make her a throw to give to her children for Christmas.  Of course, I jumped at the opportunity after trying to catch my breath.  I was, in a word, in AWE!!! What are the chances that we would meet like this under such simple circumstances and crochet should arise in the conversation.  In the words of Rebecca St. James, "All I can say is it's God!" 
     It is amazing how God can take such simple circumstances and turn it into an opportunity to use a gift. AMAZING!!!  But this isn't the first time He has done something of this nature. I read this morning as my devotion these words:

"Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, a virgin will be with child and bear a son and she will call His name Immanuel." --Isaiah 7:14
     This prediction of Christ's conception was delivered over 700 years before He was actually born.  In announcing to Joseph that Mary was with child by the power of God's Spirit, the angel used these exact words from Isaiah.  Lord, thank You that what You have said always comes to pass.
     If that isn't the epitimy of waiting on the Lord I don't know what is.  Seven hundred years, that is a long time to wait.  But wasn't it worth waiting for?  God has something planned for you that is so beyond worth waiting for and is so much better than what you have planned for yourself if you will but wait on Him.  That is my challenge today and I put that challenge to you as well.  Wait on the Lord.  Whatever lies ahead for you is going to be well worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment