Saturday, June 23, 2012

Choosing Hope Over Despair

Reference: Psalm 42

     Have you ever been so down in the dumps that you could not see the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel? Well, you are not alone. That is exactly how David felt in Psalm 42. He describes his feelings like this: He longs for God like a deer that longs for streams of water.  He has only tears for food day and night while he is being taunted by his enemies. 
     He remembers how things used to be.  I walked among the crowds of worshipers, leading a great procession to the house of God, singing for joy and giving thanks amid the sound of a great celebration!
     Then as if someone has turned on a bright light in a very dark room, David changes his prospective.  Why am I discouraged?  Why is my heart so sad?  I will put my hope in God!  I will praise him again--my Savior and my God! (Emphasis is my own) I hear the tumult of the raging seas as your waves and surging tides sweep over me.  But each day the Lord pours his unfailing love upon me, and through each night I sing his songs, praying to God who gives me life. 
     We all make choices each day, what we will wear, how we will fix our hair even what to eat for breakfast.  You also have a choice in how you deal with the conflicts no matter how small, that come into your life.  Will you drown in despair or will you swim with hope in the sea of life?  Make the choice today to have hope and throw off the wet blanket of despair.  When you are feeling let down by the world, your friends, your family or have simply lost sight of God, pray this prayer and He iwll come to your aid filling your heart with hope. 
     Prayer: Why am I so discouraged? Why is my heart so sad?  I will put my hope in God!  I will praise him again--my Savior and my God! --Psalm 42:11
     Live this day in hope and see the blessings God has placed before you.

No comments:

Post a Comment