Thursday, June 28, 2012

Be Not Dismayed

I know I have been sharing from the book of Psalms lately but the Lord laid it on my heart to share something a little different this morning.  This is for all those who are feeling the strain of worry about those they love or simply about circumstances that are beyond their control.  These circumstances are not beyond the control of God.

This reading is the history of a hymn written by Civilla Durfee Martin (1866-1948)

     A child's comment prompted this gospel song.  W. Stillman Martin had been invited to preach at a church a few hours away from his home.  But his wife became ill that Sunday morning, and he was about to cancel his speaking engagement.  Then his young son spoke up.  "Father, don't you think that if God wants you to preach today, He will take care of Mother while you are away?"   Martin made the trip, and when he returned home later that day he found that his wife had written this hymn in his absence.  That evening, he composed the music.
     Perhaps Civilla Martin was thinking of Phillipians 4 as she wrote the words to this hymn.  Paul had counseled, "Don't worry about anything"; and later he said, "This same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs."  Or perhaps it was I Peter 5:7: "Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you."
From The One Year Great Songs of Faith

     Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty.  This I declare about the Lord: He alone is my refuge, my place of strength; he is my God  and I trust him.
--Psalm 91:1-2 (NIV)

Power Verses for Today:
Ephesians 3:20
Now all glory to God who is able through his mighty power at work within us to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think.

Psalm 62:6
He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress where I will not be shaken.

Here is the hymn Civilla wrote that day:
Be not dismayed
whate'er betide,
God will take care of you;
Beneath his wings of
love abide,
God will take care of you.

God will take care of you,
Through every day,
o'er all the way;
He will take care of you.
God will take care of you.

Through days of toil when
heart doth fail,
God will take care of you;
When dangers fierce your
path assail,
God will take care of you.

All you may need He
will provide,
God will take care of you;
Nothing you ask will
be denied,
God will take care of you.

No matter what may be
the test,
God will take care of you;
Lean, weary one
upon His breast,
God will take care of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment