Friday, October 5, 2012

Being A Doubting Thomas Today?

     I have been struggling with something, something I am sure others are struggling with as well. Let me explain.
     I am a stay at home mom with two boys, age 2 and 3.5 so needless to say I don't have  a lot of free time on my hands. But God has blessed me with a gift that I have been able to share with family members, the gift of crochet.  Now you may be saying that crochet isn't really a gift but I would have to say that isn't so. Just imagine being sick. What is the first thing you reach for, a blanket but not just any blanket, your favorite blanket.  Or imagine it is a rainy day and you want to curl up on the couch and read your favorite book.  Well what is missing?  Your favorite blanket.  People find comfort in the simplest of things.  Such comfort can remind a sick person of being home with Grandma and her chicken noodle soup or curling up to watch a good western with Papaw as was my case as a little girl. So comfort can come in such simple things. 
     Thus my desire to share my craft with the world. I began by getting the necessary licenses and business name and such.  Finding a place on the internet to sell my wares wasn't quite as easy and I am still working on it but I have one faithful customer who has given me enough work to keep me busy for the next year.  Praise God.  I am still working on reaching others in order to grow my business.  This is where today's story of Doubting Thomas comes in.  I spent much of last night working on making my business facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/#!/FleurDeLisCrochet ,
more business like and just overall more presentable.  But when I checked it this morning, no comments, nothing.  My heart sank.  I felt like all that work was for nothing.  I was feeling like a Douting Thomas.  Let me pause here and share Thomas' story with you. 
John 20: 24-29
But Thomas (who was called the Twin, Didymus), one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came.  So the other disciples told him, "We have seen the Lord."  But he said to them, "Unless I see the mark of the nails and put my finger in his side, I will not believe. 
Now I have to interject here.  That is such blatant disbelief.  You might say "Well I wouldn't say that." But how many times have we been right there, staring a blessing in the face and asked for proof?
A week later his disciples were again in the house, and Thomas was with them.  Although the doors were shut, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you."  Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here and see my hands.  Reach out your hand and put it in my side.  Do not doubt but believe."  Thomas answered him, "My Lord and my God!"  Jesus said to him, "Have you believed because you have seen me?  Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have come to believe."
Look at Thomas' response.  "My Lord and my God!"  Notice the exclamation point at the end.  He answered in surprise, further showing his doubt.  Jesus corrected Thomas with his response.  Jesus is just asking us to simply trust Him, that we believe when He says He will do something, it will be done. 
I challenge you as well as myself today to look at your life and see the situations that you are viewing as a Douting Thomas.  Ask God to change your heart and help you see the blessings from the past where God has proven that He will take care of you and help you remember that He can do it again. For God is a faithful God.  As it says in Isaiah 30:18 So the Lord must wait for you to come to him so he can show you his love and compassion.  For the Lord is a faithful God.  Blessed are those who wait for his help.
May we always remember that we have a Great Friend at our side through everything and may you have a blessed day today. With all the love in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment