Saturday, September 15, 2012

Doing A Little Spring Cleaning

Today's Reading: Psalm 101 A psalm of David

I will sing of your love and justice, O LORD.  I will praise you with songs.  I will be careful to live a blameless life--when will you come bo help me?  I will lead a life of integrity in my own home.  I will refuse to look at anything vile and vulgar.  I hate all who deal crookedly; I will have nothing to do with them.  I will reject perverse ideas and stay away from every evil.  I will not tolerate people who slander their neighbors.  I will not endure conceit and pride.
I will search for faithful people to be my companions.  Only those who are above reproach will be allowed to serve me.  I will not allow deceivers to serve in my house, and liars will not stay in my presence.  My daily task will be to ferret out the wicked and free the city of the LORD from their grip.

     David is pleading himself to God to serve the kingdom of Israel justly.  He speaks of cleansing his house from all kinds of wickedness, naming a few in particular that plagued Israel more than others: vile and vulgar things which perhaps refers to prostitution; crooks; slanderers and gossipers; liars and deceivers just to name a few.
     We can totally understand David here.  This describes in a nutshell the world we live in today.  So don't you think we should follow David's example and do a little spring cleaning of our "Isreal".  What in your life, be it friends, neighbors, co-workers, situations or circumstances, do you think needs a good cleaning-weeding out the bad and keeping the good-in order that the light of the Lord may so shine in our lives?

Thought for the Day:

I urge you therefore...to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.  And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.   --Romans 12:1-2
     The weapons God provides for us are spiritual.  We must become proficient with such an arsenal before it can be effective.   So, if the LORD says His Word is a weapon, we've got to read it, know it and follow it.

No comments:

Post a Comment