Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Always Remember....

Today's Reading: Psalm 16
Protect me, O God, for in you I take refuge.  I say to the LORD, "You are my LORD; I have no good apart from you."  As for the holy ones in the land, they are the noble, in whom is all my delight.     Those who choose another god multiply their sorrows; their drink offerings of blood I will not pour out or take their names upon my lips.  The LORD is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot.  The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; I have a goodly heritage.  I bless the LORD who gives me counsel; in the night also my heart instructs me.  I keep the LORD always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.  Therefore my heart is glad, and my soul rejoices; my body also rests secure.  For you do not give me up to Sheol, or let your faithful one see the Pit.  You show me the path of life.  In your presence there is fullness of joy; in your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

     This psalm is about an act of personal faith in God's power to save.  This is a psalm of trust from David who has wandered away and come back to God may times, as have we all. 
     This psalm finds David in a state of trouble.  He is asking God to deliver him and while in the midst of trouble, he is remembering how God has saved him in the past.  He says that God is faithful and he won't let those who are faithful fall into the Pit or the grave (Sheol).  David knows God will guide him through this rough time and bring him to a place of peace.  We are reminded of this in another psalm.
Psalm 23:
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want.  He makes me lie down in green pastures; he leads me beside still waters; he restores my soul.  He leads me in right paths for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I fear no evil; for you are with me; your rod and your staff--they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD my whole life long.
     No matter how dark this moment may seem or how lost you may feel, there is a light-a true hope-that will see you through.  It is the memories of moments when God has led you through tough times in your past.  Let such memories give you the hope you seek as you tred through this day.
     Also remember you are blessed because of the sacrifices of others as we remember those who sacrificed their very lives for us on this day eleven years ago.

ALWAYS REMEMBER 9/11/2001

No comments:

Post a Comment